Rules for your safety and peace of mind
We like to run friendly and relaxed courses and we want our students to have a good time here. At the same time we need to make sure that those who want to work or sleep can do so safely and in peace. For everyone’s safety and wellbeing there are certain rules in place of which the most important are as follows:
- No alcohol anywhere on site, and alcohol must not be consumed whilst the student is on the course (even if the student is off campus, or aged over 18)
- No smoking anywhere on campus other than the designated smoking area for use by those students over the age 18 only
- Students may use the common rooms/kitchens in any of the boarding houses during breaks, lunch times and after lessons, but they must be in your own hall of residence by 10.30pm
- Under no circumstances are girls allowed in boys’ rooms, or boys allowed in girls’ rooms
- There should be no more than 3 additional students in any one bedroom, i.e. the maximum number of people in a bedroom is the number of people accommodated in the room plus 3
- Between 10.30pm-7am students must be in their hall of residence if they are a residential student
- Between 11:00pm-7am students must be in their own room
- If students are aged 15 or under, they must remain on campus at all times, unless accompanied by a member of staff
- If students do leave campus, you must sign in and out
- No use of the common rooms is allowed between 11:00pm and 7am
- Non-residential students must be off-site by 10:30pm at the latest
- No noise between 11pm and 8am. This includes talking to roommates, or using phones
- No moving bedrooms without permission (if students wish to swap, please contact the office staff for fire safety reasons)
- Please keep rooms tidy
- Any damage or mess will be the responsibility of those who created it – when necessary students will be billed for repair or cleaning work
- Setting off fire alarms or tampering with any fire/safety equipment will result in a fine (minimum of £50) and being sent home/off site immediately
- No furniture, bedding, etc to be removed from any buildings
- If students wish to leave the course early, please contact the course office
- If students have a key to their bedroom and fail to return it, they will be billed for the cost of its replacement
We hope common sense will guide you through the other rules (e.g. no physical violence, no drunkenness, no drugs, no stealing, no bullying etc), however please contact the course office if you have any questions.
Please note that breaking these rules may result in the student being sent home without refund, but where possible the student will be allowed to continue with the course on a non-residential basis.
Guide for Conduct
We ask that you follow these guidelines whilst on the course.
- Punctuality: we expect students to turn up on time for all tutorials and study periods. Where students are taught in a group the tutor will start without any late students.
- Clothing: there are no rules regarding clothing, though students may be asked to change if clothing is deemed inappropriate (e.g. t-shirt with racist slogans).
- Smoking: there is a strictly no smoking policy for all students aged 17 and below. For those 18 and above, smoking is only allowed in the designated smoking areas.
- Noise: please remember that students here have exams that may influence the rest of their lives, so try to be considerate into terms of the noise created.
- Wardens and Night Staff: the wardens and night staff are here for student security and to make sure rules are adhered to. Please listen to what they say and treat them respectfully.
- Problems: if students have problems of any sort, please come to see us in the course office, we will try our best to help.
We advise not bringing valuables on our courses. Oxford Science Studies cannot take any responsibility for valuables. However, if you do, please take good care of them. If students bring items such as mobile phones, iPods, laptops, etc. which are valuable and easy to steal, make sure you do NOT leave them in your bedroom during the day.